A Melbourne Memoir (Or a few things I miss about home)
While I don’t miss the awful Melbourne weather (anyone see the ridiculous heatwave they’re going through right now?) There are a lot of other things that make me homesick about Melbourne-
1. Degraves Street coffee.
2. Sitting on the park bench just below Fed Wharf, where all the joggers run and the yarra river flows, taking in the city sky line and summer weather.
3. The best poached eggs a breakfast girl could ask for (and I don’t even mind the price).
4. Playing “Is he a hipster, or is he homeless” on the train home in the afternoon.
5. The fact that there is always something on. An art expo, a theatre exhibit, a concert, a folksy band playing at a hole-in-the-wall bar.
6. Fine dining to suit any appetite. Modern, traditional, asian flare.
7. Sushi. $2 Tuna rolls on the go, to be precise.
Beer gardens, china town, little laneways covered in awe-inspiring grafitti, tourists huddled at stop streets, the bell that rings from a tram, the way the city lights reflect off of the rain covered walkways, the guy who plays the sax under the bridge enroute to flinders, the gelato place outside of Crown, the buskers, chalk artists and the street vendors.
Melbourne, I miss you, sometimes.